If you are relying on the Democrat news media for your information concerning yesterday’s hearing of the Benghazi select committee, you are being told that former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton kept her cool under withering partisan attacks from congressional Republicans intent on derailing her presidential campaign. You will learn virtually nothing about the actual evidence presented and testimony received over the eleven hour hearing. Here is a summary of the highlights.
1) Congress and multiple courts have subpoenaed or ordered Hillary Clinton to produce her work related emails from her time as Secretary of State. Yesterday, we learned that Hillary Clinton considers “work related emails” to be those to or from a government official and attempted to destroy all other emails regardless of whether they pertained to her work at State. This is potential felony obstruction of justice.
2) Clinton and the State Department have disclosed a high volume of Clinton emails from the period where the US supported regime change in Libya and a miniscule number of emails from the period leading up to the al Qaeda attack on our consulate in Benghazi. This means that either Clinton was AWOL after she sent Ambassador Chris Stevens and his staff into the al Qaeda controlled nation or she destroyed these emails and committed the felony of obstruction of justice.
3) When asked if she would agree to allow a neutral third party review the emails which she ineptly tried and failed to delete on her server, Clinton refused to answer.
4) Over two years after the fact, State disclosed hundreds more emails from Ambassador Stevens and, to date, we know that Stevens begged for security over 600 times. Clinton incredibly claims that no one at State ever told her that Stevens was requesting additional security. This means her Libya team was utterly incompetent or Clinton is lying again.
5) Previously, we learned that this was an al Qaeda attack, the people on the ground knew and reported it as an al Qaeda attack, the CIA reported it as an al Qaeda attack, the State Department emailed CIA they did not think the agency report properly reflected the “equities of the situation,” and eventually the intelligence community estimate was rewritten by someone to report a demonstration caused by a video which never occurred. Clinton, Obama and Rice repeated the demonstration lie for weeks and later claimed that they received this story from the intelligence community.
6) At the hearing yesterday, the GOP revealed two bombshells – an email from Clinton to her family that night reporting an attack by an “al Qaeda-like” group killed the ambassador and another communication to Egypt the next day stating that the video had nothing to do with the Benghazi attack.
However, she issued a press release to the American people at the same time (while the CIA operatives on the scene were still fighting for their lives under al Qaeda attack) blaming Steven’s death on a video.
Clinton had no answer for these documents apart from dissembling about how the situation was fluid.
You can see the exchange here:
These documents put the lie to claim that Clinton/Obama/Rice were relying on an intellgience report. Clinton knew immediately that this was an al Qaeda attack and immediately fabricated and issued the video lie while men were still fighting and dying under al Qaeda attack defending the CIA compound in Benghazi. BTW, the CIA operators’ story of that night in Benghazi will be told in a major motion picture entitled 13 Hours next year.
What we still do not know is who rewrote the intelligence estimate to insert the demonstration lie. Given that Clinton issued the first known version of this lie, she was almost certainly involved.
Finally, it will be interesting to compare the transcripts from this hearing to those of previous hearings to determine is she committed perjury and further obstruction of justice.
UPDATE: Stephen Hayes of the Weekly Standard has been reporting on this story from the beginning and give a good summary of what he observed at the hearing on a podcast.
UPDATE TWO: Andrew McCarthy of National Review details the Benghazi timeline to provide context for Clinton’s lies.
UPDATE THREE: Jay Cost of the Weekly Standard provides an in-depth analysis of the GOP Q&A and Clinton’s answers.